Monday, June 18, 2012

MendelMax Build

I've starting looking into building a MedelMax RepRap to replace my aged (and failing Darwin).  Rather then buying a kit, I'm going to source my own parts, based on an existing bill or materials (BOM) and document the build process.

So far, these are the points that I'm considering...

Decisions:

  • Go with 8mm vs 10mm slides - leaning towards the 10mm right now.  It seems to have less vibration, and I can get printed parts that will fit it.
  • Build a MendelMax 1.0 or 1.5 - Pretty much a no brainer, 1.5 it is!
  • Use optical or mechanical end stops - I have a set of optical on the Darwin, so I'll probably just use those
  • Type of X/Y carriage - I need to research this more.
  • Use a regular stepper or one of the low weight steppers to drive the print head - I'm tempted to go with the smaller stepper eventually, but for now I think I'll stick with the regular NEMA17
  • Heated or non-heated platform - heated for sure, probably with a glass base
  • Type of print head - I'm leaning towards the budaschnozzle.  The printed parts I'm looking at support this.
  • Type of electronics - I'm going to use the RAMPS/Arduino Mega system with Polulu stepper drivers.


Upgrades:

  • Glass print surface - from what I've heard, this requires less power then an aluminum print surface; aluminum being basically a big head sync.
  • Spring mounts for the print surface - Probably a good idea.  Don't want to wreck anything when/if the print head crashes.
  • PanelMax electronics that allow you to tweak some parameters, and send jobs without a laptop - Very intrigued by this.  This could be an upgrade for later.
  • Spool holder on top - why not!
  • LED lights - bling!
  • Black Mitsumi extrusion - why go with the stock silver?


Other notes so far

  • Make sure that your steppers require no more then 2amps, else the drivers overheat.

No comments: